Tuesday, July 17, 2007

We'll Have It Good - We'll Have the Life We Knew We Would

It has been in the works for a few weeks, but I am now officially the Assistant Dean for First Year Students. It is a role I take very seriously and am enjoying so much. The balance in my life has allowed for me to be present in a way that I forgot I could - and we are making the most of it! Making dinner together, visiting with loved ones, and tackling house projects that have been too long ignored.
When we moved into 94 Rodney, the previous owners had tiled over the brick fireplace, and in the process covered up a section of the mahogany border in the floor. If this weren't enough, they laid the tile directly to the brick with mortar - and the tile was pink. Everytime I looked at it I felt like I should be brushing my teeth or....well, nevermind.
Suffice it to say it would have been more appropriate surrounding a porcelain throne than a vintage fireplace!

So this weekend Dominick and I set about the process of sledge-hammering and chiseling off the tile. We began on Saturday at about 9:30pm until we realized that our home does not have a sound barrier that protects our neighbors from our strange schedule - so we worked on it most of Sunday after getting a few initial licks in. Now begins the slow and rigorous process of removing (TRYING to remove) the excess mortar.
For now we are satisfied with the "deconstructed" look - it's very now, it's very happening, it's very Boston loft. Ok, so it looks unfinished but I am in SERIOUS need of a massage and it's just going to have to wait! Completely by accident, I also managed to capture Tugger watching animal planet in the foreground there.
Hope you are all surviving this steamy summer in some relative comfort - and if your travels find you in the New Brunswick area, please come by. We are always looking for a reason to spark the grill and pop open a cold one!

No comments: