Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ooo You Make Me Live Now Honey - You're My Best Friend

The spring time is known to all as a season of growth and renewal; I believe that we, as individuals, can transform in wonderful ways with nature's rhythm.

During the winter, perhaps in honor of religious holidays and the changing year, we tend to reflect on our previous experiences. Hurts, losses, and doubts are often top of mind - a poignant reflection that can be dismissed as "winter blues". Uncried tears have a way of coallescing and freezing to the heart, haunting the soul. Spring's promise thaws these tears and, in a cleansing rain, melts away the tragedies and brings beauty to light.

My personal struggle this year has been developing a holistic idea of life. It is so easy to fall into the trap of living a checklist, or a summary of "projects". My marriage is more - so much more - than house improvements, money management, and balancing careers & calendars. Our family is so much more than a group of people that we see at special events or on vacations. I know that inside - I hold these truths close to my heart - but do I recognize it in the monotony of everyday? Do I really stop to absorb the email, analyze each photo to read the face of a loved one, marinate on what is going on in their lives and in their heads?
As with all things, some days are better than others. But in the spirit of celebrating the richness of life in full bloom...


These are not photos of vet bills or walks that need to get fit in...these are our companions and living examples of unconditional love:



This is not a bill to retrofit a chimey or a fireplace waiting to be refaced...this is time spent telling stories and loving one another:

This is not what I do in between work days....this is what makes coming home worth it:


This is not a plane ticket, rental car, or stamp in a passport....this is the love that makes my heart skip a beat and the distance that makes it ache....
this is family:

No comments: