Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Well, the holiday madness has officially begun.

Our running tally:
Holiday parties attended = 1
Holiday parties to attend = 7
Gifts purchased = 0
Gift to purchase = LOTS

Needless to say, I see my christmas card mailing slipping away this year (again!).

We attended our first holiday party at the Dougherty's this past weekend. As always, we had a great time and laughed ALOT.

It's quite remarkable when you arrive at the point in your life where you have things in common with your parents' friends and can truly value them as individuals and hold your own (or try to) in a conversation with these terrifically bright people. Now, to many I am still and will always be "Peggy and Johnny's kid" - and that is exactly as it should be! But I just soak in their stories of college and trick drill and the coffee house...and the more sobering tales of being in the military during Vietnam. I also love to have the opportunity to see my parents in this context: the coffee house manager, the beautiful sorority girl, everyone's friend just having a good time. I think that it is so important to see our parents' many dimensions to fully appreciate who they are.

My parents are so blessed to have interesting, diverse, and terrifically funny friends - and we are blessed to have grown up with them and their children as part of our family.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Hey! That picture was taken in my house! I heard it was a great party, and as always, my parents loved having the whole Hogan clan be a part of it. Wish I could have been there too!

Hope you have a great holiday season, and hope we can find time to catch up while I'm home.

jdoughe3 said...

Man, those Doughertys....they are brilliant.

Signed,
Anonymous

Andie Dougherty said...

I'm so jealous - we heard it was lots of fun and wish we could have been there too!

Enjoy your first Christmas in the new house!

Love,
Tom & Andie

jdoughe3 said...

Dear Lord. The Dougherty's need more to do! DO any of us WORK? I love the blog - it's so fun being able to connect like this. Merry, merry Christmas to you and Dom!

Anonymous said...

Hey Courtney- enjoy being Peggy and John's kid, as I draw in on the big 40, I am not Burt's kid, but he and Ricky's brother. The pastor of my church echoes your sentiments about being with family and friends during the holidays, talking about family,friends and traditions of the past. I often wonder what "The Duke" is up there thinking about the legacy he has left behind. I think he is pretty proud. By the way, no matter how mature you are, you will always be the little red head asking me for "Pepsi Free" and Mary Katherine is the " Princess of Power" Love Mike