Sunday, April 15, 2007

Believe in the Magic That Can Set You Free

Nicolina Abigail Tapia turned 1 year old!
We were blessed and honored to be able to celebrate this momentous occasion with her family.

Nicolina's mommy Melissa lived 2 houses down from us growing up, and when my parents moved to Iselin, Melissa and MaryKatherine became the best of friends and remain so to this very day.



Melissa and her Mom often reminisce about my arrival: Stella and my mom were sitting on the patio and the girls were playing in the pool during a heat wave on July 10, 1981. Stella told my mother that she thought it would be a good idea for MaryKatherine to sleep over their house that evening and arranged it immediately. That night MK and Melissa talked about whether it would be a boy or girl (they were hoping for a girl!) - and the next day I arrived.

Growing up, our neighbors were very much our family. Melissa and my sister took the best care of me and never once can I remember feeling unwanted or burdensome (though at 7 years their junior, I'm sure that I was!). And whenever my mom would see a little red head bouncing down the driveway and ask where I thought I was going, the inevitable response was "my goin' Detta's" (Stella's) for some cookies and coloring books!
Our relationship continued through the years: I was delighted to be the altar server for Melissa's marriage to Pablo (MK was a bridesmaid) and we have been there to celebrate the christenings and birthdays for her little girls Michaela and Nicolina. Melissa was at my bridal shower (pregnant with Nicolina), brought the gifts up at our wedding, and most recently, the family was there to say goodbye to MK as she left for Spain.

All of this is to say, it is not often that you can find someone in your life, outside of your immediate family, who has been there for EVERYTHING. And when you do find these people - you realize that they are the family that God knew that you needed, and sent to you. To be there for Nicolina’s first birthday was a celebration of the circle of life that we are all blessed to be part of.

At the party, there was a magician – a great guy whose patience was nothing short of magical – and the kids had a great time. But for the adults, there was real magic in that house, and it had nothing to do with bunnies, I think you'll see what I mean...


Happy Birthday Nicolina - and thanks for reminding us to find the magic...


No comments: