Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Learn to Pretend There's More Than Love That Matters

This weekend is an “excursion” for us! We are going to the Valley Forge area in Pennsylvania where Dom will be taking an art class with an accomplished artist from Ireland and I will be.....well, I haven't really gotten there yet!

I know that I will not be working....I know that I will not be working on the house...I know that I will not be at home pretending to work on the house but *really* thinking about work and secretly checking my email while Dom is outside...so beyond that it is just gravy!
I will definitely be exploring the historic areas, and will probably discover an antiques market to spend some time and dough in. If all else fails, the King of Prussia Mall is nearby to satiate the "Jersey Girl" in me (even knowing there is one nearby is a bizarre comfort - just in case I am not properly dressed for a weekend of loafing? - I should talk to someone about this).

In preparing for this weekend - or, rather, in *thinking* about this weekend and realizing that I've not prepared at all - I'm saddened to admit that despite my best efforts, I've become saturated by my job AGAIN. There are so many changes going on - some for the better, some yet to be seen - that have me preoccupied. I really struggle to be present and to maintain a healthy balance in my life.

I don't pretend to be alone in this struggle. We've all been "caught": your spouse is talking to you and you are replaying that rather tense moment with your boss and thinking of all the things you could have said instead of nodding like the good soldier you are expected to be. Or, conversely, your boss is on the second filibuster of the day (and it is not yet 10am) and you are composing your shopping list in your head, hoping you'll have time to let the dog out before you go. Somewhere in your head you think "I hope someone is writing this down"...but that someone is not you.

I know this is normal….I know it is to be expected…I know I have to forgive myself and "insert any number of Oprah pontifications here"…but I still hate it.

So I am going to take this weekend as an opportunity to really connect with myself and my gorgeous husband. I'm going to consciously take the time to appreciate what a beautiful love we have, and what a blessed life we are building together.

In that spirit, here’s a look back...


The day that it all began...Six Flags, Sept. '98
The bridal shower - you can see the fear setting in as I realize I will soon have to open all of the wonderful household gifts that Dominick registered for and pretend that I know their name and purpose!



Revisiting the scene of the proposal - rockin it vintage style in Beantown


Canoodling at the lake house...I've always wondered at what level of celebrity you begin to "canoodle"? Speaking of celebrity...

Being married makes us want to dance




But at the end of the day, we're just the same two kids in love, playing dress up in this horribly grown-up world, biding our time until our next adventure...

1 comment:

Katie said...

You really have a way with words, Courtney. Thanks for sharing your lives with us. And hope you enjoy the weekend away from it all!